“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

― Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Delirium by Laruen Oliver

Delirium (Delirium, #1)Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Summaries from: goodreads.com

Before scientists found the cure, people thought
love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


~~~~

Ninety-five days, and then I’ll be safe.
I wonder whether the procedure will hurt.
I want to get it over with.
It’s hard to be patient.
It’s hard not to be afraid while I’m still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn’t touched me yet.
Still, I worry.
They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness.
The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don’t.


...........................................................................................................................

This book was FANTASTIC, our rating:

 
 
This book DEFINITELY deserves 5 stars! The plot was EXTREMELY addicting....I mean who would ever have thought to look at love like a disease? It's brilliant! I love the world Lauren built up around Lena, it's realistic and a little bit scary.....
 
 
Here are a few things:
 
 
What worked:
 
The chemistry of the society was stunningly crafted and the characters chemistry was perfect as well, and I just LOVEDDD IT! Every plot twist was right on the mark and I want to read it again and again and again. A heart breaking cliff hanger.
 
What didn't work:
 
Honestly, there wasn't anything I wouldn't have personally changed. I know that I have that problem when I read books sometimes my little writer mind starts correcting things or making little flaws totally obvious, but for this book it didn't turn on that part of my brain at all. I just loved it, living with the character and wearing her emotions like my own. There wasn't a moment where I said "Really? Stop being so dramatic!" no...none of that. It was perfection :D.
 

What do I think you should do? I think you should DROP EVERYTHING NOW and go pick up/purchase/borrow this book now because its AMAZING.

Just let it be known....I LOVE ALEX SO MUCH! I thought his character development is the BEST of a love interest that I've read. (except maybe Shatter Me..)

*SPOILER-Y DISCUSSION* If you guys want to have a spoiler-y discussion, PLEASE, leave a comment and I will MORE than be happy to engage in one with you.


8 comments:

  1. I loved Delirium too! But the last two or three pages are....unexpected to say the least. Have you read Pandemonium yet? That one was also great.~

    -Sydney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh! The LAST PART! So crazy! :D I have 10 pages left of Pandemonium and that stuff is WOAH too! I CANNOT wait for Requiem! SO EXCITED....I mean—ALEX!! Are you team Alex or team Julian? (or if you are not for the whole 'teams' thing than...which boy do you prefer?)

      Thanks for commenting! (I also saw your Goodreads friend request, your right! We do have very similar taste in books!)

      Delete
    2. I am defiantly team Alex! He was the one that started it all. Which team are you? And I am also extremely excited for Requiem!!!~

      -Sydney

      Delete
    3. I am SOOO team Alex! 100%!!!!! I JUST finished pandemonium, not 15 mins ago. OH MY GOSH THE ENDING! Woah. I am so scared for Requiem now because I AM team Alex.....what does that is mean? Hardened eyes....I don't want to soil anything for others reading this but I just want to CRAWL INTO A CLOSET UNTIL REQUIEM COMES OUT....maybe forever! Oh my gosh! If she chooses Julian....well I'm not sure what I will do. *The dreaded love triangle*

      Delete
    4. IKR! If she chooses Julian I think I might die. I'm just hoping Alex is only temporarily mad.(Ya know, since she was kissing another guy)But in the end I REALLY hope she chooses Alex!~

      -Sydney

      Delete
    5. I really hope he's not mad for good....but what could he be mad at her FOR?! She thought he was DEAD!!! Did he want her to walk around in grief for the rest of her life or move on? What did he mean by "don't believe her" WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!!? Alex is confusing me. I'm scared.

      -Kait

      Delete
    6. True, but she never actually saw him dead...I mean it was a reasonable assumption... but i'm pretty sure he was in prison for a while so that could make a persons eyes harden. And even though she shouldn't have stayed miserable all her life, if you look at it from Alex's POV he risked his life for her and escaped prison (possibly) and sought her out, and then the first time he saw her in..who knows how long...she is kissing another guy.~

      (Oh, and when he said dont belive her he was talking about what she just said. She promised Julian that she would stay with him forever, so Alex said "dont belive her" because im pretty sure she said something similar to Alex)

      -Sydney

      Delete
    7. I know what u mean. But I could understand why she thought Alex was dead...I sort of believed it too once Raven said it. Then when she said what she did to Julian and Alex interjected. I could side with Lena because technically what she promised Alex doesn't count anymore if he's dead. And she thought he was dead. But I totally get what you mean as well (and the crypts could definitely turn his eyes cold. That makes sense.) guess we will just have to wait for Requirem!

      Delete

Since we are a user friendly blog and want all of our readers to be able to read the comments please add " **SPOILER ALERT** " to your post if it applies. Thanks for your consideration!

We love love love your comments! When you leave them it just makes us so happy! Thanks for visiting!

-Kait, Mari, and Rach

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...